blue lotus blog archives

We've relocated our Blog to our website, so this page has become the location for our archived blogs.

To view our most recent posts, please visit the blue lotus blog on our website.

Thanks for stopping by!

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Last Day in Pokhara

I’m sitting on the rooftop of the guest house, soaking in the last of the afternoon sun before it disappears behind the hills. It’s quite hazy, so the Himalaya have been in hiding since mid-morning, and there is something of a fog nestled into the trees below. I can see the north end of Phewa Tal (the lake here in Pokhara) and am happy to take in a slice of Nepali life. The smell of wood smoke and incense are always in the air, and my heart is full.

I love, admire and am fascinated by life here and I currently have a bird’s-eye view of it all. Women are doing laundry on surrounding rooftops, children are yelling and playing in the alleys. Men and women at home and in shops repeatedly perform the daily ritual of moving dirt and dust from one place to another with small hand-brooms made from straw.

Cows and water buffalo roam through the streets, as do some of the dogs; though it seems that since I was here last, there is a new phenomenon of dogs as "pets." Sometimes they are simply hanging around the home or shop where I assume they are fed, and other times, sadly, kept on very short chains. Snowy egrets who make their homes on the far side of the lake can regularly be seen against the lush green backdrop of palms, banana trees and some tree akin to our poinsettia.

Despite the peace and beauty, it’s never completely quiet here. There is the ubiquitous sound of honking cars, trucks and motorcycles, construction, as well as human voices living life in public. The sounds of many birds, barking dogs, and children yelling in the streets ceases only at night. The people here are early to bed and early to rise, so as the sun disappears, things will slowly wind down.

Up on the tallest hill on the far side of the lake I can see the stupa of the Peace Pagoda. This monastery and shrine were built recently, and we took a hike to see it up close earlier in the week. Monks from the major Buddhist traditions came together to build the beautiful structure, inset with figures of the Buddha and strewn with prayer flags. With no car traffic allowed, it’s an oasis of quiet. I stick to my initial theories about the Buddhists: when it comes to construction, they pick the BEST places!

As for me, I’ve fallen into traveler mode quite quickly, and let go of my Western standards of, well, most everything. Without judgment, there is so much spaciousness for the life here. Having said that, I have decided that four days is really as long as I can stand to wear one pair of socks. After that I am offending even myself. (a sense of humor is also an essential part of life!)

Blessings!

No comments: